Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Responses: 4. Wal-Mart

4. Do you support Wal-Mart opening stores in the District? How will you vote on legislation recently reintroduced in the DC Council that requires stores larger than 75,000 square feet to pay a living wage?

Biddle: The District is hemorrhaging jobs. In these trying economic times, I am committed to bring jobs to my hometown. But when I say jobs, I don't just mean a paycheck, I mean a paycheck with dignity. I welcome all employers to Washington, DC, and tell them that our talented workforce is ready to work, for the benefits they deserve. I urge Wal-Mart to work with the communities around agreements that include both fair wage and healthcare benefits. These are not items that the District government should be underwriting.

Douglas: I am supportive of Wal-Mart opening in the District. I am also very supportive of the “living wage” legislation. In addition to paying a living wage, I would like to see Wal-Mart assure employment of a certain percentage of DC residents, especially those living in the ward where the stores are located; give back to the community through local scholarships, and; partner with local schools, colleges and universities on educational initiatives.

Lopez: I do support Wal-Mart coming into the District. I am confident that it will bring jobs to the city at a time when we currently face high unemployment rates. Due to the history of Wal-Mart’s employment treatment I would vote in support of them paying a living wage to residents who work in their stores.

Mara: I support Wal-Mart opening stores in the District because I understand the pain many unemployed residents face every day. We need jobs and I support any organization that wishes to employ residents of DC. However, I agree that workers must be treated fairly, given a living wage, and be awarded satisfactory benefits. This also speaks to how we need a more comprehensive approach to Workforce Development. We must look at outcomes of the programs we fund.

Page: I do not personally support Wal-Mart due to its abyssmal record on preventing gender and race discrimination throughout its organization, its deplorable record of labor violations (both accusations and matters that have been settled out of court), and its effect on local wages and on local businesses wherever Wal-Marts have opened. I would vote in favor of legislation requiring stores larger than 75,000 square to pay a living wage. To do otherwise would lead to the District essentially underwriting Wal-Mart underpaying its employees whenever those employees seek social services such as Medicaid and rental assistance, because they cannot afford to live on the salaries Wal-Mart regularly offers its store employees. To do otherwise would lead us to face a threat of wage suppression for retail employees citywide.

Weaver: I am not happy about Wal-Mart's attempt to open four stores in the District but how they are doing it is a matter of right and the Council and the community, under current law and procedures do not have many options. I am 100 percent in support of legislation to create a living wage law for stores larger than 75,000 square feet and this should have been done years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment