Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Responses: Are You a Progressive?

FINAL QUESTION: Are you a progressive? Please give us your personal definition of progressive politics.

Biddle: Yes. I am a supporter of finding solutions to major social problems through a forward-looking, socially evolving political agenda for everyone, especially as it relates to groups who have historically not had a seat at the table.

Douglas: I consider myself progressive. To me, progressive politics refers to a policy of carefully evaluating the moves, the impact, and the plan before implementing policy. Taking into consideration the typical response to a problem versus the out-of-the-box response and determining the most appropriate action is what progressives do. We see obstacles as opportunities.

Lopez: Yes, I am a progressive candidate. I believe a progressive politician is one who goes against the grain in order to see that the jurisdiction he or she represents moves forward. Alternative thinking is a key tenant of progressive politics because it provides new ways to solve old problems. Progressive politics also has a legacy of advocating on behalf of the working class and the disenfranchised.

Mara: Yes.

Page: Yes, I am a progressive.

I define a progressive as a person who views government service through the lens of social justice, sees government revenue as money held by them in sacred trust by the taxpayer, and vows to fight in the best interest of the people rather than corporate or monied interests.

Weaver: I am a progressive.

The Washington Post may call me an “unbending liberal” but in my opinion, traditional "liberals" focus on using taxpayer money to help better society. As a "progressive" we focus on using the power of the government to make large institutions play by the rules.

Throughout my time in public service I have dedicated my life to the cause of human rights, economic justice and equality of opportunity for all Washingtonians. I have stood up for the rights of women, disadvantaged youth, championed affordable housing, the rights of the mentally ill, the environment, full public financing of elections, equitable funding of public education, access to child care and a safe, integrated public transit system.

The abolitionist Wendell Phillips was once asked, 'Wendell, why are you so on fire?' He responded, 'I'm on fire because I have mountains of ice before me to melt.'

So do we progressives.

No comments:

Post a Comment